My Youth In Asia # 2-"Pardon The Way That I Stare."

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it."-Confucius
“You have blue eye, big big nose, small small mouth,” observed one of my students this week. When you live in a place where the dominant racial make-up is different from your own, you have to be prepared for people to take notice, and Seoul, South Korea is no different. At least people here tend to limit themselves to stares or muted giggles. During the three years that I lived in rural South Africa, my every step out-of-doors was accompanied by pointed fingers and shouts of, “White Man! White Man!”-like I was a polar bear escaped from the zoo. These days, I get a little thrill every time a pretty girl looks at me on the subway before I notice that she’s not flirting, but giving me the kind of look people usually reserve for bearded ladies or a sweet potato resembling Richard Nixon. Being mostly solitary and not much of a bar hopper, I was in town for nearly a month before I spotted another white person-a slender woman in her mid-30’s reading a book on the subway. After seeing only Koreans for a while, my mind did a little double take to find her there, like a CD player hitting a scratch. I probably looked at her longer than should have and if I hadn’t been wearing my “Super-Bored Subway Face,” I might have let out a little snort of surprised laughter. It was a couple of minutes before I realized that that this is exactly the same reaction that Koreans have when they see me walking around loose. They don’t mean to be rude- I’m just not what they expected to see. Sometimes I go around a blind corner and people actually take a startled step back like they’ve seen a ghost. Little children cry and hide behind their mother’s skirts. In old British movies, great white hunters are always running into each other in dusty backstreets of B.F.E. They become fast friends, get pissed, and complain about the heat and “the natives.” I’m not sure what to do when I run into other foreigners here. Are we supposed to cling to each other like shipwreck survivors, or play it cool and pretend like we didn’t just see a reminder of home? In my case, shyness won out and left the woman to enjoy her book in peace. Next time though, I’ll be prepared. I’ll walk right up to her and say, “Dr. Livingstone, I presume?”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Livingstone, I presume? Very funny! Ric

Shaun said...

Hi this is Shaun from the new teacher orientation in Suwon. I've been meaning to comment on your blog for awhile, but Blogger detected my location and served me Korean menus. I found an audiobook copy of "A Walk in the Woods" recently, so I thought it's better late than never.

Your entries about Korean life crack me up. You should keep it going. =)

The Sexy Monk said...

Shaun-Thanks for your comment. I didn't think anybody from the conference remembered me. I'm putting together some new material for more posts about Korea and the A.T. I have several partially finished posts saved in draft form. I should be able to get them polished up and posted during the summer session. If you get a chance, drop me a line and let me know what you're up to: thesexymonk@hotmail.com All the best.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership and create more engaged users. I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to also install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your blog

I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright2@gmail.com